Do you know your ABC’s? Of boating that is…..
Of course you know your ABC’s, you learned them along time ago. But what about the boating ABC’s? Before you head out on those California waterways, it’s a good idea for you and your boating passengers to be aware of the boating ABC’s. The California State Parks Division of Boating and Waterways, has a great booklet, “A Guide to Boating Laws and Safety, ABC’s of California Boating”
Here are a few of the topics that are covered…
- Preparation – Education, Weather, Boating Capacity, Fueling
- Waterway Markings – U.S. waterways are marked for safe navigation by the lateral system of buoyage. The system uses a simple arrangement of colors, shapes, numbers and light characteristics to show the side on which a buoy should be passed when proceeding in a given direction.
- Rules of the Waterways – Navigation Rules, Boater Responsibilities, Navigation Signals
- Operational Laws – Trailing, Stolen Vessels, Age Restrictions, Speed, County & City Laws.
- Emergency and Accident Procedures -Radio/Marine Emergency Distress, Accident Reporting, False Reports
- Required Equipment – Life Jackets, Fire Extinguishers, Visual Distress Signaling Devices.
- Green Boating – Boater Responsibility, Boat Maintenance,
- Registration – How to Register, Display Numbers and Stickers.
- Resources and Contact Information – Emergency Contacts, Boating Safety, Clean Boating, Oil and Chemical Spills, Marine Wildlife Rescue.
As a responsible boat owner and for the safety of you and others, it’s important to know these ABC’s. This all may sound boring and may not be exciting to read, but it could save the lives of you and your passengers, even other boaters!
Here is a copy of the booklet in PDF format, for more details on the subjects listed above. ABC’s of California Boating (PDF)
Wishing everyone safe boating this summer out there on our California waterways!