Does your boat miss you during the winter months?
Even though the weather is pretty mild here in southern California, many of us don’t take our boats out as much in the winter, as we do in spring and summer. Which means, our boats may be sitting for longer periods of time. That’s why it’s a good idea to stop by and visit once in while.
Here in sunny southern California, it may not be necessary winterize your boat, but, it’s a good time to do those semi-annual or annual boat maintenance chores. Preserving your boat during the winter is also a good idea.
Tips to preserve your boat during the winter…
- Clean, Clean, Clean – Clean your boat inside and out. Dirty boats equal mold. A good detail job can help your boat survive the winter elements.
- Clear it out – Remove things like life jackets and cushions. They can hold moisture which can lead to mold.
- Keeping Things Dry – It may be a good idea to install a dehumidifier. This will help keep things dry and prevent mold.
- Check Plugs and Drains – Check the bilge drain to make sure it’s not plugged with debris, like leaves, seaweed, etc.
- Check your Battery – It’s a good idea to install a trickle charger or charge your battery periodically.
- Check your Engine – Flush your engine. And check for rust and corrosion on the engine, engine clamps and the fuel line.
- Visit your boat – Your boat’s going to miss you during the winter months, so be sure to stop by and visit. Inspect it and remove any rain water that may have accumulated on the boat cover.
It’s also a good time to make a list of repairs that can be done over the winter months. Items like propeller repairs, protective bottom paint, etc. Getting them done during the winter means your boat will be ready to go for Spring boating.
Spring will be here before you know it! Newmarks Yacht Centre hopes these tips will help make sure you and your boat are ready!