The U.S. Coast Guard’s Boating Safety Mobile app is now available.
During this year’s National Safe Boating Week* (May 16 – 22, 2015) the USCG released its first Boating Safety app. It’s designed to provide additional boating safety resources on your mobile devices.
The Boating Safety App features include…
- The latest California safety regulations
- Request a vessel safety check
- Safety equipment checklist
- File a float plan
- Navigation Rules
- Find the nearest NOAA buoy
- Features to report a hazard, pollution or suspicious activity.
Another feature is Location Services, when this is enabled…
- Users can receive the latest weather reports from NOAA weather buoys.
- Report the location of hazards on the water.
- Emergency Assistance button, will call the closet Coast Guard command center.
The Coast Guard Mobile App provides essential services and information most commonly requested by boaters. This new app was not designed to replace your marine VHF radio (The Coast Guard strongly recommends all boaters have a marine VHF radio onboard.)
The Coast Guard is the nation’s recreational boating safety coordinator. They work to minimize loss of life, personal injury, property damage, and environmental harm. Their boating safety program involves…
- Public education programs.
- Regulation of boat designs.
- Approval of boating safety equipment.
- Vessel safety checks for compliance with federal and state safety requirement.
*National Safe Boating Week is an annual event that encourages all boaters to practice safe boating.
For more information on the app, visit uscg.mil/mobile.